40,038 books and counting!
Rx for Reading is a non-profit literacy initiative sponsored by the University of Detroit Mercy. Our mission is to expand access to high-quality children’s books and support families in reading with their children. Since 2014 we have distributed over 1,500 children’s books a month with the help of our community partners, including low-income health, dental and WIC clinics, homeless shelters, and Head Start programs.
Our 2015-2016 fundraising campaign is now underway. Please consider Making a Donation to help support our work!
- Our Blog profiles recent Rx for Reading events and initiatives.
- Our Clinic Library Initiative works to promote reading as part of a healthy childhood.
- Our Little Free Library Initiative places free libraries in community organizations that serve children and families.
- Our Head Start Partnership pairs college students with preschoolers to help model a lifetime love of reading.
- Rx for Reading Ypsilanti is expanding our work for children’s literacy in the Ypsilanti community.
Help Us Raise the Next Generation of Readers and Leaders, One Book at a Time.
Rx for Reading Detroit is sponsored by the University of Detroit Mercy and housed under the university’s 501c-3 non-profit status. All donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.